William Dawes: The first white man on the Blue Mountains by Lindsay Paish

Copyright (c): Lindsay Paish First published 1989 EDITOR’S NOTE The Author has lived in the Blue Mountains all his life, was born at Katoomba and moved to Springwood in 1949.  In his early years he gained an intimate knowledge of the region as a bushwalker. He gained experience of topographic survey and photogrammetry while working for the Forestry Commission and is an experienced cartographer and surveyor. In preparing this booklet acknowledgement is made of the help and guidance given by Jack Maddock, President of the Springwood Historical Society and the staff of the Local History Centre of Braemar, Springwood. PREFACE. … Continue reading William Dawes: The first white man on the Blue Mountains by Lindsay Paish

George Sheppeard and Broughton’s Waterhole Toll Bar, Mt. Victoria

The Toll-bar cottage, photo John Merriman – flickr On 1862, on the morning of a late September day, two riders cantered through the township of Mount Victoria on their way to attend an auction in Hartley. As they approached the descent at Victoria Pass four men burst from the bush, their faces hidden beneath rough crepe masks. It was George Sheppheard the bushrangers were after. Their informants had led them to believe he would be passing with a large sum of money collected at the toll bar he leased on the Western Road. As it turned out it was not George … Continue reading George Sheppeard and Broughton’s Waterhole Toll Bar, Mt. Victoria

“Braemar” Springwood, 1882- 2016

BEGINNINGS The story of “Braemar” begins in Scotland, on the southern edge of the Firth of Clyde where the industrial seaport town of Greenock lies in the shadow of the Ayreshire Hills. It was here, in the birthplace of the legendary pirate Captain William Kidd and the pioneer inventor of the steam engine James Watt, that the man who built Braemar, James Hunter Lawson, came into the world on 22 April, 1836. While little is known of the childhood and youth of the young James Hunter Lawson, by the time he was nineteen and about to embark upon the long … Continue reading “Braemar” Springwood, 1882- 2016

“Logie” and The Lapstone Hill Hotel

“Logie” In the 1870s Captain Charles Smith, a shipping magnate, bought part of country residence built in the 1870s by the Hon John Lucas, M.L.A. (1818 – 1902), a controversial Sydney politician, financier and Secretary for Mines in the Robertson Ministry. In the 1880s Smith built a house, called ‘Logie’, higher up the hill, above the railway and beyond Lucas’s cottage. When Charles Smith died in 1897, Logie was inherited by his son, Colin (1879 – 1939). Colin Smith was an eccentric and kenspeckle figure in Glenbrook who established a bacteriological laboratory at ‘Logie’.   ‘Logie’ In 1921 Logie and … Continue reading “Logie” and The Lapstone Hill Hotel

Katoomba Street History Walk

Katoomba St, c.1930 Introduction In its early years Katoomba laid no claim to the status it later achieved among the Mountain towns. While there had been an inn and stock resting place at Pulpit Hill from the 1830s, the town’s real beginnings were with the railway. Towards the end of the 1870s, this lonely mountain outpost began to change dramatically. The official name change to Katoomba occurred in 1878, the same year that businessman John Britty North registered his coal mine at the base of the cliffs near the Orphan Rock. Within a year the high quality of his coal … Continue reading Katoomba Street History Walk

Japanese Street Names in Leura & Hazelbrook

Japanese sailors at Taronga Zoo, 1924 Photo courtesy of Australian National Maritime Museum   In the latter part of the 19th Century and the early 20th Century, Japanese art and culture had a widespread influence on Western art, interior design, music, fashion and textiles.   Many Australians, like others in Europe and elsewhere, were fascinated by things Japanese. Japanese Navy training squadrons twice entered Sydney Harbour, in 1903 and 1906, to enthusiastic receptions. Other visits occurred in the 1920s, see image above.   During the 1906 visit, Katoomba Municipal Council extended a formal invitation to the officers and men of the … Continue reading Japanese Street Names in Leura & Hazelbrook