Katoomba Children’s Library & Crafts Club

The opening ceremony, at the podium from left: Mary Matheson, Joseph Jackson MLA, Hon. Clive Evatt, Dr Eric Dark, Eleanor Dark, Michael Dark on chair, Mayor Freelander, B J Milliss Elsie Rivett, and her sister Mary Matheson, were the founders of the Children’s Library and Craft Movement. In 1922 they opened the first Children’s Library and Crafts Club in Surry Hills, Sydney. The Katoomba branch was apparently the eighth to be established.The following is compiled from contemporary newspaper reports. “Boys’ and Girls’ Library and Craft Club Nearing CompletionMost mothers have had, at some time, to cope with a complaint from their … Continue reading Katoomba Children’s Library & Crafts Club

Stratford Girls’ School, Lawson

Stratford Girls School, San Jose Ave. Lawson The original building with its three floor levels and tower was constructed in 1879 and named “San Jose”, by Joseph (Jose) Guillermo Hay, an official in the Lands Department, who had received a grant of 300 acres at Lawson the previous year. In the 1880s Hay took advantage of the Mountains’ new and growing reputation as a health and recreation retreat, and by 1882 the name “San Jose” had the words “The Blue Mountains Sanatorium” added to it and described in a local guidebook as “the best for private families” and “with grounds … Continue reading Stratford Girls’ School, Lawson