The Prime Ministers’ Corridor of Oaks

Faulconbridge was the maiden name of Sir Henry Parkes mother, and the name he chose for his mountain property after he purchased land near Springwood in the mid-1870s. ┬áThe first house he built was given the name ‘Stonehurst’, the second and principal residence was called ‘Faulconbridge House’. In the early 1870s, Parkes began to consider ways to unite the Australian colonies and in 1883 a Federal Council was set up to consider a Federal Constitution. Things moved slowly, however, and little more than discussion took place until 1889 when, with the encouragement of the Governor, Lord Carrington, Parkes entered upon … Continue reading The Prime Ministers’ Corridor of Oaks